Wednesday, May 4, 2016

To the Girl that was Singing in the Bathroom

I attend a school with close to 2,500 students and staff. I have been attending this school for close to three years and know no where near that many students. Every day I see people that I have never seen before.
There are about 11 sets of student bathrooms in this school. And as much as I hate public bathrooms, sometimes I have to use them.
This week when I went to the bathroom during my government class, a fellow school-mate that I have seen before in the hallways but never really talked to came into the bathroom singing. She had no idea that I was in there and I knew that when I walked out it was going to be awkward for the both of us but I needed to get back to class.
I really admired her self confidence for singing in school, sure it was the bathroom but there are like 6 stalls and there could have been someone in any one of them.
There could have been a mean girl who just laughed at her.
There could have been a quiet girl who turned red in the face and just walked out not bothering to even acknowledge the fact that there was another person in there.
But instead, there was me. Someone who knows what it is like to be made fun of in school for whatever reason it may be that day, It was me who just happened to be going pee when she came in singing.
Sure I had a moment where I had to determine what I was going to do.
Was I going to

  • acknowledge that she was singing
  • skip washing my hands and go straight back to class
  • or compliment her
There was never a time where I thought I should make fun of her, not even a split second.
I was very happy that she came in singing.
It made me happy that even high schoolers will sing their hearts out in the bathroom, and that it isn't just preschoolers.
I decided that if it was me in the situation but as the singer, I would want someone to acknowledge that I was singing but not just that, but to receive a compliment on it. So that is just what I did. 
She had no idea that I was in there.
When I walked out of that first stall in that bathroom, the look on her face was pure embarrassment and pure shock. She didn't know what to do either.
We both went through an awkward moment where we were staring at each other while I started to was my hands. 
I told her that she had a beautiful singing voice and she didn't hear me so she asked me to repeat myself so I did. She said thank you, got a huge smile on her face and ran out of the bathroom.
So, to the girl that was singing in the bathroom,
I beyond admire your confidence to even sing aloud in the school bathroom, for I could NEVER do that.
The smile that you got on your face when I told you that your singing was beautiful made my heart super happy. 
I want you to know that your voice is truly beautiful, and I didn't just say that because of the awkward situation. I wouldn't be surprised if I see you on American Idol one day.
Next time, sing louder, sing so everyone can hear you, because you have a voice that everyone should get to here. 

To the girl that was singing in the bathroom, 
Thank you.
Thank you for showing me that it is okay to be yourself in a sea of 2,500 people.
Thank you for letting me hear your beautiful voice, even though you may not havfe meant to.
Thank you for making me feel happy by seeing how happy my comment made you.
I wish I would have gotten your name, so for now, you are just known to me as "The girl that was singing in the bathroom"

No comments:

Post a Comment